Sunday, August 2, 2015

Rough-Hewn, by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

That proverb about not judging a book by its cover proved itself true once again with the beautiful, moving story inside these plain brown boards.


It's one of the best books I've read all year, and I kept putting it down to marvel at Dorothy Canfield Fisher's characters and their story.  I found my battered old copy on the shelves of Becker's Books, which almost overflows an old house on Houston's west side.  It's the kind of bookstore that rewards patient trolling through the shelves, particularly in the dimly-lit alcoves.  As I moved slowly along, it was of course Dorothy Canfield's name that caught my eye.  I knew nothing about this 1922 novel, not even the title, which naturally didn't stop me from buying it, since her books turn up so rarely.  I was very pleased later to find that this is a first edition.

With no dust-jacket and no cover copy, I truly had no idea what the story was about when I started it.  I was reminded again how rare that is. With new books, I usually know something about them - outlines of plot, details of character, whatever I glean from the covers.  Here I knew nothing, and I had the most delightful feeling of discovering a story, watching it unroll before me with no idea where it was taking me, or the characters.  And I haven't read enough of Dorothy Canfield Fisher's fiction to be certain how it would end.

For those who would like to discover this book for themselves, there will be spoilers below.  I don't think it counts as a spoiler though to say this is a wonderful book, and you should read it!

It opens in 1893, with a young boy, Neale Crittenden, just off to play shinny in the streets with his friends.  He lives in Union Hall, New Jersey, with his parents.  Neale attends a private school, but his whole life is taken up with sports and games.  Though he has loving and attentive parents, he lives very much in and by himself, in his own world.  I was just getting used to Neale and his world, when the next section of the book opened in France, where a young American girl named Marise Allen has arrived with her parents to live in Bayonne, near the Spanish border.  Her father is the sales representative of an American company selling farm machinery.  Really, however, they have come because Marise's mother wants to escape her provincial American life.  Having read a lot of novels and poetry, Mrs. Allen has come to Europe to find Culture and Life - and perhaps Love.  Too busy with these great things to care for her child, she leaves Marise to the Basque servants.  Old Jeanne in particular loves Marise like her own daughter, but she and the others despise Mrs. Allen.  Like her neighbors, they laugh at her behind her back for her laziness and for her too-obvious flirtations.  Marise, alone and vulnerable, picks up some very unfortunate ideas from them about men and relations between the sexes.  When her mother's imprudence leads to a great tragedy for the family, no one realizes how deeply it affects her young daughter, least of all Marise herself.

The story then moves back and forth between Neale and Marise.  In America, Neale moves through school and into college at Columbia, where he for a time finds his life's purpose in football.  His summers are spent in West Adams, Massachusetts, where his grandfather runs the family lumber mill.  Drawn to the work from childhood, Neale joins the lumber company where his father works after graduation.  He quickly becomes one of its rising stars, but suddenly he finds himself facing the question: what is he working for?  What is he meant to be doing with his life?  He gives up his job to travel, hoping to find an answer.  Meanwhile, Marise has sought refuge in music, studying the piano and hoping to make a career as a professional musician.  Eventually, her studies take her to Rome, where she meets Neale one fateful morning.

I loved so many things about this book.  At first I worried about Neale, whom I thought neglected by his parents.  Their close loving marriage seemed to leave little room for him.  It was only later in the book that I realized his parents, in best Dorothy Canfield Fisher fashion, were leaving Neale room to grow and develop, to find his own way.  The chapter where Neale discovers his parents' library and falls in love with books, starting with Great Expectations, was a complete delight.  Among his other attractions as a hero, he is a wonderful bookworm.  The senior Crittendens also give Neale the example of a happy, balanced partnership.  Once Neale is old enough, his father accepts a position in Central America, and his parents joyfully set off on their travels.  This is what they always wanted to do, they explain to their son, and now they can - leaving the conventional Yankee grandfather aghast, and blaming Neale's mother for this flightiness.

I thought Neale's story was much more interesting than Marise's, but then I realized that's because Marise's life is so narrow, hemmed in by her life in a small provincial French town, in a convent school.  I wondered how much Dorothy Canfield Fisher was drawing on her own experiences in writing Marise's.  Like Neale, Marise has to find her way into her own life (a phrase that DCF uses), but her first steps into that life come so much later than his.  I had a good idea where those steps were going to take them, when I learned that both Neale and Marise had roots in Vermont - the Paradise to which Dorothy Canfield Fisher returned again and again in her books.  In fact, Marise has an Aunt Hetty, clear kin to the Putneys in Understood Betsy.  As lovely as the ending of this book is, I do wish there was a sequel, set in Vermont.  I'd love to meet Neale and Marise again.

22 comments:

  1. I just skim read your post as I hope to read the book myself some day. I recently bought The Bent Twig by Canfield. I don't know anything about it but like you I'm trusting it will be a good read because it's by Dorothy Canfield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have The Bent Twig as well - also in an old edition with no dust jacket, so I have no idea what it's about either. I know some people won't buy older books without their original jackets but I almost prefer them that way.

      Delete
  2. I've still only read Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher, and that's feeling more and more like a darn shame. I bet I'd love her other books -- this sounds wonderful -- and I bet they'd make excellent gifts for various family members as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to pull my copy of Understood Betsy off the shelf last night while I was writing this, and of course I ended up re-reading some of my favorite parts. I'd be very interested to see what you make of this one, and of The Home-Maker. I just wish her books were easier to find!

      Delete
  3. I skimmed the post, too, because I'd like to read this someday. I'm so excited that you found it though. I really admired The Home-Maker and hope to read more of her fiction. I wish we had a good used book store here in my area, but we really don't and books like these are so hard to find - I'll have to search online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love discovering books by chance :) Though I have really cut down on my bookstore browsing. Now I just need to cut down on my on-line ordering :(

      Delete
  4. There are 9 books by DCF at Project Gutenberg...which is a great place to find well formated out of prints without turning to WorldCat. ( happy dance)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder! I had already downloaded Understood Betsy, which is one of my comfort reads. And Hillsboro People, even though it's under another author's name.

      Delete
  5. I've been meaning to read more of Dorothy Canfield Fisher ever since I read The Home-Maker, but I've never quite got around to it. You couldn't have given me a lovelier reminder, though I must resist looking for this one until I've read the books I have in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I have some others of hers to read as well - but I am glad I came across this one just by chance. It was written just a couple of years before The Home-Maker - that must have been a good decade.

      Delete
  6. You're right about finding hidden gems behind ugly brown covers. This story sounds like a lot of fun. I've never read Fisher before, but I think I'd really like her. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get a chance to try her books, Lark - gems indeed, at least those I've read. Understood Betsy and The Home-Maker are lovely, lovely books.

      Delete
  7. I loved The Home-Maker, so will definitely keep an eye out for this one. She really needs some serious republishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virago has republished at least one - the book Jane mentions below. And I think Understood Betsy is still in print - but too many of her books aren't!

      Delete
  8. Lisa, I've just discovered that there is a sequel, or rather that this is a prequel. You inspired me to pick up my copy of 'The Brimming Cup' - published a year before this book - and I found Marise and Neale married in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, thank you so much for this - I am so excited to read more about them. I've just found multiple copies available on-line, and I hope to have mine soon!

      Delete
  9. I read the two volumes together, and I'd forgotten that they were two volumes, so I was quite puzzled thinking "But then they to to Vermont and..."

    Hope you love _The Brimming Cup_ as much!

    I've never been disappointed in Dorothy Canfield. I wish her books were easier to find. I've read all the ones on Gutenberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have books piled all over the place to read, but now of course I want The Brimming Cup. And possibly a plane ticket to Vermont.

      I love continued stories. It's from growing up reading series books - I always want to know what happened next to characters.

      Delete
  10. It's so rare that we get a chance to read a book without knowing anything about it. Even a familiar author's name tells us something about what we'll find in the book. I appreciate the chance when I can get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, James! It's also interesting reading new authors, when you don't know them well enough to know where or how far they might take a story. And then sometimes I crave the familiar, which I think is at the root of re-reading.

      Delete
  11. The Brimming Cup is the sequel to Rough -Hewn. Marise and Neale have settled in Vermont with their three children and traditional life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Anon. I am really looking forward to the further adventures of Neale & Marise!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!